Best Barry Goldwater Quotes
Barry Goldwater Quotes About Guns, Extremism, Life, History, Freedom, Politics, Government & Success! An American politician and Air Force captain, Goldwater did serve as a five-term Senator from Arizona and was the Republican Party’s candidate for president in 1964. Many politicians claim responsibility for reigniting the American right-wing political movement after World War II, but none more so than Barry Goldwater. In Phoenix, Arizona, Goldwater was born on January 2, 1909.
Goldwater got a commission in the U.S. Army Air Force Reserve when the United States entered World War II. After completing his flight training, he was transferred to the Ferry Command, a newly established outfit that transported planes and supplies to combat zones worldwide. After the war, Goldwater was elected to the Phoenix City Council in 1949 and won the election to the U.S. Senate in 1952. Goldwater opposed the New Deal’s legacy as a senator and battled against the New Deal alliance.
There has never been a major American party presidential candidate of Jewish heritage until the election of Goldwater. With insufficient support from the public, Barry Goldwater lost the 1964 presidential election by a wide margin to Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson, the incumbent at the time. His last and most significant term in Congress ended with Goldwater narrowly winning re-election in 1980.
Goldwater’s most important legislative accomplishment was passing the Goldwater–Nichols Act in 1986, which enhanced civilian oversight of the Department of Defense. Toward the end of his life, Goldwater’s opinions on cultural and social problems became more libertarian. Goldwater’s libertarian views on social matters became more solid as soon as he left the Senate. On May 29, 1998, he died away.
Best Barry Goldwater Quotes
1. “Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” — Barry Goldwater
2. “I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom.” — Barry Goldwater
3. “My aim is not to pass laws but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed in their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden.” — Barry Goldwater
4. “I am frankly sick and tired of the political preachers telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in A, B, C, and D. Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?” — Barry Goldwater
5. “The effect of Welfarism on freedom will be felt later on – after its beneficiaries have become its victims, after dependence on government has turned into bondage and it is too late to unlock the jail.” — Barry Goldwater
6. “To my mind, the single essential element on which all discoveries will be dependent is human freedom.” — Barry Goldwater
7. “Can any of us refute the wisdom of Madison and the other framers? Can anyone look at the carnage in Iran, the bloodshed in Northern Ireland or the bombs bursting in Lebanon and yet question the dangers of injecting religious issues into the affairs of state?” — Barry Goldwater
8. “By maintaining the separation of church and state, the United States has avoided the intolerance which has so divided the rest of the world with religious wars.” — Barry Goldwater
9. “Religious factions will go on imposing their will on others unless the decent people connected to them recognize that religion has no place in public policy. They must learn to make their views known without trying to make their views the only alternatives.” — Barry Goldwater
10. “I am a conservative Republican, but I believe in democracy and the separation of church and state.” — Barry Goldwater
11. “Sex and politics are a lot alike. You don’t have to be good at them to enjoy them.” — Barry Goldwater
12. “When I’m not a politician, I’ll be dead.” — Barry Goldwater
13. “I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size.” — Barry Goldwater
14. “Where is the politician who has not promised to fight to the death for lower taxes- and who has not proceeded to vote for the very spending projects that make tax cuts impossible?” — Barry Goldwater
15. “The income tax created more criminals than any other single act of government.” — Barry Goldwater
16. “The conservative movement is founded on the simple tenet that people have the right to live life as they please as long as they don’t hurt anyone else in the process.” — Barry Goldwater
17. “The president, who finds so much to complain about in other areas of the world, apparently saw nothing wrong in recognizing a Communist regime that has killed more people in its short history of control over the teeming millions of that great country than any other collection of dictators or tyrants in the history of the world.” — Barry Goldwater
18. “I fear Washington and centralized government more than I do Moscow.” — Barry Goldwater
19. “Unlimited campaign spending eats at the heart of the democratic process.” — Barry Goldwater
20. “History has to judge every man who served. I don’t know how they’re going to treat me. I may be the worst S.O.B. that ever came down the pike. But I won’t lose any sleep over it. I just like to be remembered as an honest person who tried.” — Barry Goldwater
21. “It’s political Daddyism and it’s as old as demagogues and despotism.” — Barry Goldwater
22. “Conservatism, we are told, is out-of-date. This charge is preposterous and we ought to boldly say so. The laws of God, and of nature, have no dateline. […] These principles are derived from the nature of man, and from the truths that God has revealed about His creation. […] To suggest that the Conservative philosophy is out of date is akin to saying that the Golden Rule, or the Ten Commandments or Aristotle’s Politics are out of date.” — Barry Goldwater
23. “The oldest philosophy in the world is conservatism, and I go clear back to the first Greeks. … When you say ‘radical right’ today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party away from the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye.” — Bary Goldwater
24. “I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is “needed” before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible.” — Barry Goldwater
25. “Most Americans have no real understanding of the operation of the international money lenders. The accounts of the Federal Reserve System have never been audited. It operates outside the control of Congress and manipulates the credit of the United States.” — Barry Goldwater