Best Christopher Hitchens Quotes
Christopher Hitchens Quotes About Think for Yourself, Jesus, Funny, Religion, Death, Life, Love, God & Evidence! Christopher Hitchens, an English-born American, was a multi-talented artist. In addition to his work as a journalist, novelist, and essayist, he also worked as a literary critic and columnist for a number of prestigious journals, such As the Atlantic, Free Inquiry, The Nation, Salon, Slate, Vanity Fair, and World Affairs.
For more than four decades, Christopher Hitchens’ writings, books, and reporting have made a significant contribution to global literature. In the year of our Lord, 1949, Christopher Hitchens was born on April 13. Hitchens was educated at Mount House School in Tavistock, Devon, and Leys School in Cambridge before attending Oxford’s Balliol College to study politics, economics, and philosophy.
In 1970, he started his journalistic career, beginning with the publication International Socialism. As a staunch atheist, Hitchens was sure that there was no God. In the New Atheism movement, he was a well-known advocate of intellectual enlightenment. Hitchens liked to refer to himself as an antitheist, meaning he was hostile to the notion of a supreme being such as God. According to him, a totalitarian mindset is antithetical to individual liberty. Throughout his career, Hitchens argued that free speech and scientific discoveries should use to educate ethics and define human civilization instead of religion.
Hitchens began his political exile in 1989 when Ayatollah Khomeini ordered the assassination of Salman Rushdie. December 15, 2011, was the date of his death. Christopher Hitchens is most known for his outspoken views and provocative works that challenge the beliefs of both the church and the government.
Best Christopher Hitchens Quotes
1. “Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you.”– Christopher Hitchens.
2. “Everything everyone thinks they know about (Mother Teresa) is false. It must be the single most successful emotional con job of the twentieth century.”– Christopher Hitchens.
3. “Who are your favourite heroines in real life? The women of Afghanistan, Iraq, and Iran who risk their lives and their beauty to defy the foulness of theocracy.”– Christopher Hitchens.
4. “My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time.”– Christopher Hitchens.
5. “There are people who cannot forget, as neither do I, the lesson of the years of the Indochina War. Which was, first, that the state is capable of being a murderer. A mass murderer, and a conspirator and a liar.”– Christopher Hitchens.
6. “Mother Teresa was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said that suffering was a gift from God.”– Christopher Hitchens.
7. “Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the ‘transcendent’ and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself.”– Christopher Hitchens.
8. “Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.”– Christopher Hitchens.
9. “it’s a solid lesson in the limitations of self to realize that your heart is running around inside someone else’s body.”– Christopher Hitchens.
10. “Our belief is not a belief. Our principles are not a faith. We do not rely solely upon science and reason, because these are necessary rather than sufficient factors, but we distrust anything that contradicts science or outrages reason.”– Christopher Hitchens.
11. “I have always found it quaint and rather touching that there is a movement (Libertarians) in the US that thinks Americans are not yet selfish enough.”– Christopher Hitchens.
12. “Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish.”– Christopher Hitchens.
13. “Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that’s where it should stay.”– Christopher Hitchens.
14. “To suggest that there’s something fascistic about me and about my beliefs is something I won’t hear said and you shouldn’t believe.”– Christopher Hitchens.
15. “I’m not afraid of being dead, that’s to say there’s nothing to be afraid of. I won’t know I’m dead, would be my strong conviction. And if I find that I’m alive in any way at all, that’ll be a pleasant surprise. I quite like surprises.”– Christopher Hitchens.
16. “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”– Christopher Hitchens.
17. “We may differ on many things, but what we respect is free inquiry, open mindedness, and the pursuit of ideas for their own sake.”– Christopher Hitchens.
18. “I have met some highly intelligent believers, but history has no record to say that (s)he knew or understood the mind of god. Yet this is precisely the qualification which the godly must claim—so modestly and so humbly—to possess.”– Christopher Hitchens.
19. “The man who prays is the one who thinks that god has arranged matters all wrong, but who also thinks that he can instruct god how to put them right.”– Christopher Hitchens.
20. “To ‘choose’ dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the Kool-Aid.”– Christopher Hitchens.
21. “Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence.”– Christopher Hitchens.
22. “If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in a quite different world.”– Christopher Hitchens.
23. “A virgin can conceive. A dead body can walk again. Your leprosy can be cured. The blind can see. Nonsense. It’s not moral to lie to children.”– Christopher Hitchens.
24. “Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”– Christopher Hitchens.
25. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him will believeth in anything.”– Christopher Hitchens.
26. “Religion is part of the human make-up. It’s also part of our cultural and intellectual history.”– Christopher Hitchens.
27. “I am not even an atheist so much as an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful.”– Christopher Hitchens.
28. “To terrify children with the image of hell… to consider women an inferior creation. Is that good for the world?”– Christopher Hitchens.
29. “Human beings are pattern-seeking animals who will prefer even a bad theory or a conspiracy theory to no theory at all.”– Christopher Hitchens.
30. “Well, to the people who pray for me to not only have an agonizing death, but then be reborn to have an agonizing and horrible eternal life of torture, I say, ‘Well, good on you. See you there.'”– Christopher Hitchens.