Ellen Ochoa Quotes About Life, Love, Education, Death & Success! Ellen Ochoa became the first woman Hispanic astronaut in 1991 after being selected by NASA 1990. On May 10, 1958, Ellen Ochoa was born in Los Angeles, California. For her high school graduation in 1975, she went to Grossmont High School in La Mesa, California, and earned a bachelor’s degree in physics from San Diego State University.
She subsequently attended Stanford University, earning a master’s degree in electrical engineering and a Ph.D. in the same field. Ochoa, a veteran astronaut with over 950 hours in orbit under her belt as a mission specialist and flight engineer, has been in space on four separate occasions.
Her technical duties have included creating flying software and computer hardware and testing and training robots. She has been an assistant to the Astronaut Office chief, acting deputy chief, and lead spacecraft communicator in Mission Control. She presently holds the position of Director of Flight Crew Operations at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.
Among Ochoa’s many accolades and medals are the NASA Exceptional Service Medal (1997), the NASA Outstanding Leadership Medal (1995), and the NASA Space Flight Medals (1993, 1995, 1997). Ochoa is an expert in classical flute and her role as an astronaut, researcher, and engineer. She, her husband, Coe Fulmer Miles, and their two children make their home in the Lone Star State.
Best Ellen Ochoa Quotes
1. “Don’t be afraid to reach for the stars.“ — Ellen Ochoa
2. “The opportunities I had were a result of having a good educational background. Education is what allows you to stand out.“ — Ellen Ochoa
3. “What everyone in the astronaut corps shares in common is not gender or ethnic background, but motivation, perseverance, and desire – the desire to participate in a voyage of discovery.“ — Ellen Ochoa
4. “Being involved in human space flight, it is an emotional endeavor. I think it brings in the highest highs and the lowest lows.“ — Ellen Ochoa
5. “A hallmark of the Latino community is to help one another, if students are interested in a way to give back and help their communities, becoming a teacher is probably one of the very best ways of doing that.“ — Ellen Ochoa
6. “Education is what allows you to stand out.“ — Ellen Ochoa
7. “Being an astronaut is a wonderful career. I feel very privileged. But what I really hope for young people is that they find a career they’re passionate about, something that’s challenging and worthwhile.“ — Ellen Ochoa
8. “I realized how important it was to know something about aviation, and it was something I was interested in.“ — Ellen Ochoa
9. “We are involved in technology development for, you know, missions that we hope to plan that would take us to an asteroid and eventually to Mars.“ — Ellen Ochoa
10. “I was always drawn to teachers who made class interesting and created an environment where interaction was important.“ — Ellen Ochoa
11. “We can focus on the fact that what is important to succeed in life, it does not matter whether you are a man or a woman.“ — Ellen Ochoa
12. “We are constantly emphasizing to people that they need to address anything that affects flight safety or mission success – many pathways to do that. We need to understand better what may be preventing people from using those pathways.“ — Ellen Ochoa
13. “I don’t know of any issues associated with alcohol before flight.“ — Ellen Ochoa
14. “Astronauts are very professional and when they’re preparing for launch, they prepare for it as the most serious endeavor of our lives.“ — Ellen Ochoa
15. “I don’t recall any interest in science in particular. It came later in college.“ — Ellen Ochoa
16. “There was a lot of light and a lot of rumbling and vibration, especially the first minute or minute-and-a-half. And then after about two minutes, when the solid rocket boosters separated, the ride got a lot smoother.“ — Ellen Ochoa
17. “It’s fun to work the robotic arm in part because it’s really a team effort.“ — Ellen Ochoa