Jerry Garcia Quotes About Life, Love, Death, Peace, Music, Fun & Lyrics! However, being one of the co-founders of the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia was an American musician and guitarist. He was born on August 1, 1942, as Jerome John Garcia. Due to his parents’ love of music, he was named Jerome Kern. His music-loving parents pushed him to follow his passion from an early age. During his time at Monroe Elementary School, his creative talents began to emerge.
In the mid-1960s, the band was recognized for its unusual and varied sound that blended rock and folk elements with bluegrass, reggae, and psychedelic themes. As the band’s primary guitarist and singer, he came to notoriety during the counter culture period and was regarded by some to be the band’s spokesperson.
The Grateful Dead dominated the hearts of music enthusiasts throughout the globe for around three decades. Following his success as one of the band’s co-founders, Jerry Garcia also got engaged in a number of other ventures, the most renowned of which being the Jerry Garcia Band.
His tight relationship with bluegrass mandolinist David Grisman led to several joint performances. As talented as Garcia was, his personal life was damaged by his penchant for smoking and abusing narcotics. He had diabetes, and his health worsened severely due to his addictions in the early 1990s. When he was 53 years old died of a heart attack in 1995. As a performer, Jerry Garcia had exceptional skill. In Rolling Stone’s “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time” cover story, he was listed as the 13th greatest guitarist ever. In the eyes of many musicians, he is recognized as one of the greatest guitarists ever.
Best Jerry Garcia Quotes
1. “Working in the studio is like building a ship in a bottle. Playing live is like having a row boat on the oceans.”– Jerry Garcia.
2. “I’m goin’ where the wind don’t blow so strange, maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.”– Jerry Garcia.
3. “I am not a keyboard person. The mouse is better.”– Jerry Garcia.
4. “We are not completely autonomous.”– Jerry Garcia
5. “I have all the patience in the world about Sirens. For me it’s not a Grateful Dead project, it’s a Me project.”– Jerry Garcia.
6. “Crime is the problem… Money’s the problem…”– Jerry Garcia.
7. “Talk about your plenty, talk about your ills, One man gathers what another man spills.”– Jerry Garcia.
8. “It really… improves our performances on every level… the best possible combination of performance, venue, and recording studio.”– Jerry Garcia.
9. “So every once in a while I get an idea about plumbing… they come the way they come.”-Jerry Garcia.
10. “All I know is, if you listen to society, you’ll never get anywhere!”– Jerry Garcia.
11. “What we do is play for people…we don’t play so good for machines.”– Jerry Garcia.
12. “Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”– Jerry Garcia.
13. “As a musician my preference is to play live for people… that’s my orientation.”– Jerry Garcia.
14. “We are the Don Quixotes of rock ‘n’ roll. We’re doing something nobody cares to do.”– Jerry Garcia.
15. “Sometimes the lights all shining on me… Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.”– Jerry Garcia.
16. “It’s fun for us – that’s the important thing.”– Jerry Garcia.
17. “Playing in a group, I’m tending to think more about the music… I’m not interested in being a virtuoso guitar player or anything like that.”– Jerry Garcia.
18. “I’m not Beethoven!”– Jerry Garcia.
19. “American society has gone completely into denial.”– Jerry Garcia.
20. “You ain’t gonna learn what you don’t wanna know.”– Jerry Garcia.
21. “Everybody… has the capacity to really surprise me musically.”– Jerry Garcia.
22. “We do things because we enjoy it.”– Jerry Garcia.
23. “The bottle was dusty but the liquor was clean.”– Jerry Garcia.
24. “It isn’t something that we manipulate and control.”– Jerry Garcia.
25. “We’re just inviting adventure… and adventure carries a little baggage.”-Jerry Garcia.
26. “Takes a certain thing not to try to keep anything up, not to have to entertain one another.”– Jerry Garcia.
27. “When people get to play together for a long time that’s when the music gets good.”– Jerry Garcia.
28. “Everybody… has very very different concepts… The Grateful Dead has a lot of friction and a lot of tension in the music.”– Jerry Garcia.
29. “Most of what The Grateful Dead does is like happening now… it’s very little rehearsed.”– Jerry Garcia.
30. “More fun than a frog in a glass of milk.”-Jerry Garcia.