Best Louis L’amour Quotes
Louis L’amour Quotes About Death, Writing, Life, The Walking Drum, Horses, Love & Inspirational! In addition to being known as “Tex Burns” or “Jim Mayo,” Louis L’Amour was an American novelist who wrote primarily Western novels based on his own experiences of life on the frontier. Furthermore, he wrote historical fiction, science fiction, and non-fiction. On March 22, 1908, he was born in Jamestown, North Dakota. Until the age of 15, Louis lived in Jamestown. As a result of a failing economy in 1923, his parents left Jamestown, and he became a world traveler.
In the beginning, he wrote poems and articles about boxing. His first pay story was written several years later. This article was published in ‘True Gang Life’ and was titled ‘Anything for a Pal.’ During World War II, he became a tank officer in the transportation corps. For various magazines, he wrote short stories from 1946 to 1950, especially detective and adventure fiction.
The first novel L’Amour wrote (under his name) was ‘Westward the Tide’ in 1951. In the 1960s, he wrote a series of novels about the fictional ‘Sackett family. Around the time of the 1960s, L’Amour had an ambitious project. The idea was to create a town that would look like a 19th-century western settlement. The concept was called “Shalako,” after one of his novels’ protagonists.
For his literary work, he received an “Honorary Ph.D.” from Jamestown College in May 1972. The same year recognized his tribute to North Dakota with the ‘Theodore Roosevelt Roughrider Award.’ He was awarded the title of “Honorary Colonel” by the State of North Dakota. The autobiography he wrote, titled ‘Education of a Wandering Man,’ was published posthumously in 1989. In June 1988, he passed away.
Best Louis L’amour Quotes
1. “The Apache don’t have a word for love, he said.
Know what they both say at the marriage? The squaw-taking ceremony?
Varlebena. It means forever. That’s all they say.”-Louis L’amour
2. “The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for.”-Louis L’amour
3.”A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner, so if one’s life is cold and bare he can blame none but himself.”-Louis L’amour
4.”The sunset was spectacular. The sky streaked itself with rose and the region of the sun became an indescribable glory. All my life I have used words, and yet I find times when they are totally inadequate.”-Louis L’amour
5. “No one can “get” an education, for of necessity education is a continuing process.”-Louis L’amour
6. “Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.”-Louis L’amour
7. “Books are the building blocks of civilization, for without the written word, a man knows nothing beyond what occurs during his own brief years….”-Louis L’amour
8. “Reading without thinking is nothing, for a book is less important for what it says than for what it makes you think.”-Louis L’amour
9. “For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography, and history offer an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time.”-Louis L’amour
10. “I’m actually writing history. It isn’t what you’d call big history. I don’t write about presidents and generals…I write about the man who was ranching, the man who was mining, the man who was opening up the country.”-Louis L’amour
11. “Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for the trickster and catch him at the first attempt, but beware of an honest man.”-Louis L’amour
12. “Up to a point a man’s life is shaped by environment, heredity, and movements and changes in the world about him; then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be.”-Louis L’amour
13. “Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds.”-Louis L’amour
14. “I would not sit waiting for some vague tomorrow, nor for something to happen.”-Louis L’amour
15. “One could wait a lifetime, and find nothing at the end of the waiting. I would begin here, I would make something happen.”-Louis L’amour
16. “One can be so overwhelmed by the forest as to miss seeing the trees.”-Louis L’amour
17. “Knowledge was not meant to be locked behind doors. It breathes best in the open air where all men can inhale its essence.”-Louis L’amour
18. “Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.”-Louis L’amour
19. “If you want the law to leave you alone, keep your hair trimmed and your boots shined.”-Louis L’amour
20. “I wonder why it is the man who pleads for mercy never gives it.”-Louis L’amour
21. “A good beginning makes a good end.”-Louis L’amour
22. “No memory is ever alone; it’s at the end of a trail of memories, a dozen trails that each have their own associations.”-Louis L’amour
23. “Nobody got anywhere in the world by simply being content.”-Louis L’amour
24. “To make democracy work, we must be a notion of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”-Louis L’amour
25. “Warm sunlight lay upon the hacienda called Casa Grande. The hounds sprawling in drowsy peace under the smoke trees scarcely opened their eyes when the tall stranger turned his horse through the gate.”-Louis L’amour
26. “No man can save his brother’s soul, or pay his brother’s debt.”-Louis L’amour
27. “Next to the Bible more great men had read Plutarch than any other book.”-Louis L’amour
28. “We Sackett boys never killed anything we didn’t need to eat unless it was coming at us. A mountain man tries to live with the country instead of against it.”-Louis L’amour
29. “My folks built blood into the foundations of this country and I don’t aim to see them torn down for no reason whatsoever.”-Louis L’amour
30. “Only, the way I figure, no man has the right to be ignorant. In a country like this, ignorance is a crime.”-Louis L’amour