Best Meister Eckhart Quotes
Meister Eckhart Quotes About God, New Beginnings, Prayer, Christmas, Hell, Love, Life & Success! Meister Eckhart was a German philosopher, mystic, and theologian during the medieval age. He was born in the hamlet of Hochheim, which is located near Gotha, in 1260. Later in life, he rose to the prior positions at Erfurt and provincial of Thuringia after receiving his early schooling at Cologne’s University. Eckhart moved to Paris in 1300 to continue his education and serve as a lecturer. He spent three years there before returning to Erfurt and becoming the provincial of Saxony.
In 1311, he moved to Paris and began teaching at one of the most prestigious convent schools in the city. During a public protest in February of 1327, Eckhart said that he despised all evil and that nothing of the type could be found in any of his works. He passed away in 1328 AD.
After Eckhart’s death, his pupils were chastised for their lack of attention and warned to be more careful in the future. Throughout the 13th century, Eckhart’s writings were read by a large number of individuals, as well as those who came after. Eckhart was a prolific writer on metaphysics and spirituality.
In his basic tenets, Eckhart highlighted that all animals would be brought into a positive state because he anticipated all souls to be linked to God and directed by Him. Sublimity and purity were central to his teachings. These positive teachings were the driving force for his success as an influential preacher and teacher. Most of Meister Eckhart’s writings were first published in 1935, bringing him fresh acclaim after his death in the mid-19th century. After this period, he became known as a spiritual mystic and a prominent philosopher.
Best Meister Eckhart Quotes
1. “There is something in the soul that is so akin to God that it is one with Him… It has nothing in common with anything created.”— Meister Eckhart.
2. “If you look for nothing but God, nothing or no one can disturb you. God is not distracted by a multitude of things. Nor can we be.”— Meister Eckhart.
3. “God expects but one thing of you, and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far as you are a created being made and let God be God in you.”— Meister Eckhart.
4. “Do not imagine that your reason can grow to the knowledge of God.”— Meister Eckhart.
5. “If God is to be a giver, He must first find a taker, but no one may be a taker of God’s gifts except by his humility.”— Meister Eckhart.
6. “Truth is something so noble that if God could turn aside from it, I could keep the truth and let God go.”— Meister Eckhart.
7. “When God has sent his angel to me, then I know of a surety. … When God sends his angel to the soul it becomes the one who knows for sure.”— Meister Eckhart.
8. “Each time our wrongdoing cuts the string, God ties another knot drawing us up closer to Him.”— Meister Eckhart.
9. “The less theorizing you do about God, the more receptive you are to His inpouring.”— Meister Eckhart.
10. “If you seek God and seek Him for your own profit and bliss, then in truth you are not seeking God.”— Meister Eckhart.
11. “We shall find God in everything alike, and find God always alike in everything.”— Meister Eckhart.
12. “But where is this true possession of God, whereby we really possess him, to be found”— Meister Eckhart.
13. “No-one knows what the soul is. But what we do know is, the soul is where God works compassion.”— Meister Eckhart.
14. “God is a great underground river that no one can dam up and no one can stop.”— Meister Eckhart.
15. “If you seek the kernel, you must break the shell.”— Meister Eckhart.
16. “There is no stopping place in this life – nor is there ever one for any person, no matter how far along the way one’s gone.”— Meister Eckhart.
17. “If anyone went on for a thousand years asking of life: ‘Why are you living?’ life, if it could answer, would only say, ‘I live so that I may live’.”— Meister Eckhart.
18. “I declare truly that as long as anything is reflected in your mind which is not the eternal Word, or which looks away from the eternal Word, then, good as it may be, it is not the right thing.”— Meister Eckhart.
19. “I may err but I am not a heretic, for the first has to do with the mind and the second with the will!”— Meister Eckhart.
20. “What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we shall reap in the harvest of action.”— Meister Eckhart.
21. “Wisdom consists in doing the next think you have to do, doing it with your whole heart, and finding delight in doing it.”— Meister Eckhart.
22. “Learn to behave thus even in deepest distress and keep yourself that way in any and every estate of life.”— Meister Eckhart.
23. “A quiet mind is one which nothing weighs on, nothing worries, which, free from ties and from all self-seeking, is wholly merged into the will of God and dead to its own.”— Meister Eckhart.
24. “Nothing is sharper than suffering, nothing is sweeter than to have suffered.”— Meister Eckhart.
25. “Our bodily food is changed into us, but our spiritual food changes us into it.”— Meister Eckhart.
26. “For a heart to be perfectly ready it has to be perfectly empty.”— Meister Eckhart.
27. “The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake.”— Meister Eckhart.
28. “Some people prefer solitude. They say their peace of mind depends on this.”— Meister Eckhart.
29. “One must learn an inner solitude wherever or with whomsoever we may be. We must learn to penetrate things and find God there.”— Meister Eckhart.
30. “The followers of Christ discovered that the heavier their suffering, the easier they could endure it.”— Meister Eckhart.