Nina Simone Quotes About Love, Music, Freedom, Art, Goodreads, Feminism, Beauty, Life & Success! Nina Simone was a legendary figure in American music throughout the twentieth century. Singer, musician, piano virtuoso, and social crusader were only a few of her accomplishments. Nina Simone was born on February 21st, 1933, in Tryon, North Carolina, United States. She began playing the piano at four and decided to pursue music as a vocation by the time she was a teenager.
She enrolled in the ‘Juilliard School’ in New York City in 1950 to study music. But forced her to withdraw from the program due to a lack of financial resources. Soon after, she began showcasing her talents at local nightclubs with the hopes of establishing a career in the music industry.
Her most famous hit, “I Loves You, Porgy,” was released in 1957 and was a crucial turning point in her career. Nina Simone’s career officially began at this point. Throughout her career, she was a force to deal with the blues and jazz music charts. Throughout the decade of the 1960s, she rose to prominence as a leading figure in the world of music and design.
During the 1970s, she struggled with significant mental and financial problems, which led to rumors that her career may have ended. On the other hand, she staged a comeback in the 1980s and established herself to the point that she is now considered an icon. Forty albums have been released by her during her career. Her songs “Sinner Man” and “Feeling Good” are two of the songs that have brought her the most remarkable success on a global scale.
Best Nina Simone Quotes
1. “I would like a man now who is rich, and who can give me a boat – a sailboat. I want to own it and let him pay for it. My first love is the sea and water, not music. Music is second.” – Nina Simone
2. “I flirt all the time. I like men! I don’t think we can do without them.” – Nina Simone
3. “For my love is like the wind, and wild is the wind.” – Nina Simone
4. “You have to learn to get up from the table when love is no longer being served.” – Nina Simone
5. “I drink much more that I ought to drink because it brings me back you.” – Nina Simone
6. “You don’t know what it’s like to love somebody the way I love you.” – Nina Simone
7. “What is love but a prelude to sorrow…with heartache ahead for your goal.” – Nina Simone
8. “I’ll tell you what freedom is to me: no fear.” – Nina Simone
9. “To me, we are the most beautiful creatures in the whole world. Black people. And I mean that in every sense.” – Nina Simone
10. “I know I’m different, but I don’t think about it.” – Nina Simone
11. “Life is short. People are not easy to know. They’re not easy to know, so if you don’t tell them how you feel, you’re not going to get anywhere, I feel.” – Nina Simone
12. “There’s no excuse for the young people not knowing who the heroes and heroines are or were” – Nina Simone
13. “Having as little to do with human beings as possible – in some weird way, I’m at peace.” – Nina Simone
14. “But oh, I’m just a soul whose intentions are good. Oh Lord, please don’t let me be misunderstood.” – Nina Simone
15. “I’m a real rebel with a cause.” – Nina Simone
16. “I believe in racial memory too. I’m sure I’ve got ancient African blood in me that has something to do with what I am.” – Nina Simone
17. “It’s a good time for black people to be alive.” – Nina Simone
18. “That is why we fly from the inner void, since God might steal into it. It is not the pursuit of pleasure and the aversion for effort which causes sin, but fear of God. We know that we cannot see him face to face without dying, and we do not want to die.” – Nina Simone
19. “I don’t like rap music at all. I don’t think it’s music. It’s just a beat and rapping.” – Nina Simone
20. “To most white people, jazz means black and jazz means dirt, and that’s not what I play. I play black classical music.” – Nina Simone
21. “It’s an artist’s duty to reflect the times in which we live.” – Nina Simone
22. “I didn’t get interested in music. It was a gift from God.” – Nina Simone
23. “Anything human can be felt through music, which means that there is no limit to the creating that can be done with music. You can take the same phrase from any song and cut it up so many different ways – it’s infinite. It’s like God… you know?” – Nina Simone
24. “I want to shake people up so bad, that when they leave a nightclub where I’ve performed, I just want them to be to pieces.” – Nina Simone
25. “It is difficult to retain your standards with the pressure of trying to make money, which always has its rules…It’s hard to walk the tightrope of doing what you think is your best and making money at it.” – Nina Simone