Robert Frost Quotes About Education, Life, Love, Death, Poems, Inspirational, Nature, & Writing! As a poet from the New England region, Robert Frost uses everyday words and events to paint a realistic picture of life in his hometown. He received four Pulitzer Prizes and was invited to speak at President John F. Kennedy’s 1961 inauguration for his efforts. Frost was born on this day in 1874 in San Francisco, California.
Frost attended Dartmouth College for a short time after high school before returning home to pursue a string of unfulfilling jobs. Frost enrolled at Harvard University in 1897 but had to leave after two years owing to health issues. Frost’s first poem, “My Butterfly: an Elegy,” was published in The Independent, a New York City-based weekly literary journal, in 1894.
In 1906, two poems were published: “The Tuft of Flowers” and “The Trial by Existence.” Because no publishers were ready to underwrite any of his other poetry, after meeting poets Ezra Pound and Edward Thomas, Frost realized that these two people had a profound impact on his life. Pound and Thomas were the first to give him a positive appraisal of his work and provide him with a lot of support. Thomas’s lengthy hikes inspired one of Frost’s most famous poems, “The Road Not Taken,” across the English countryside.
Thanks to his reputation, the literary community embraced Frost with open arms when he returned to the United States. More than 40 honorary degrees were awarded to Frost throughout his lifetime. On January 29, 1963, Frost died during a prostate surgical procedure because of complications. Frost’s quotations, like his poetry, have been praised for their profound significance and inspirational character. His quotations span all elements of modern life and provide readers with a new perspective on things and circumstances.
Best Robert Frost Quotes
1. “Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire.” – Robert Frost
2. “The afternoon knows what the morning never suspected.” – Robert Frost
3. “How many things have to happen to you before something occurs to you?” – Robert Frost
4. “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.” – Robert Frost
5. “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
6. “Poetry is what gets lost in translation.” – Robert Frost
7. “To be a poet is a condition, not a profession.” – Robert Frost
8. “Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.” – Robert Frost
9. “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.” – Robert Frost
10. “Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.” – Robert Frost
11. “Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.” – Robert Frost
12. “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.” – Robert Frost
13. “I’m not confused. I’m just well mixed.” – Robert Frost
14. “Don’t ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up.” – Robert Frost
15. “A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman’s birthday but never remembers her age.” – Robert Frost
16. “A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness.” – Robert Frost
17. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Robert Frost
18. “Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.” – Robert Frost
19. “The reason why worry kills more people than work is that more people worry than work.” – Robert Frost
20. “Something we were withholding made us weak, until we found it was ourselves.” – Robert Frost
21. “The middle of the road is where the white line is—and that’s the worst place to drive.” – Robert Frost
22. “The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.” – Robert Frost
If you enjoyed this article, read our collection of Rumi quotes on life, love and strength that will inspire you.
23. “A good book has no ending.” – Robert Frost
24. “Thinking is not to agree or disagree. That’s voting.” – Robert Frost
25. “Before I built a wall I’d ask to know what I was walling in or walling out.” – Robert Frost
26. “By faithfully working eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.” – Robert Frost
27. “Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor.” – Robert Frost
28. “Every poem is a momentary stay against the confusion of the world.” – Robert Frost
29. “Poetry is a way of taking life by the throat.” – Robert Frost
30. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” – Robert Frost