Sigmund Freud Quotes About Dreams, Mental Health, Psychology, Personality, Fear, Life, Love & Success! Austrian neurologist Sigmund Freud is most known for his development of psychoanalysis, which uses spontaneous associations, dreams, and fantasies as a means of uncovering the patient’s hidden problems. In addition to his work on sexuality in children, he also made significant contributions to the study of desire and the ego throughout the 20th century.
On May 6, 1856, Freud was born in the Austrian town of Freiberg, today known as the Czech Republic. After graduation, Freud immediately set up a private practice and began treating a wide range of mental disorders. Freud’s psychoanalytic theory, influenced by his colleague Josef Breuer, posits that neuroses result from very distressing events that occurred in the afflicted person’s beyond. Freud’s beliefs are undoubtedly influenced by other clinical findings of his day.
Charles Darwin’s understanding of humankind as a part of the animal world influenced Freud’s study of human behavior. In 1909, he was asked to give a series of lectures in the United States. It was not until after the publication of his book, five Lectures on Psycho-evaluation (1916) that his popularity grew so quickly that he was famous worldwide.
Freud has written many important works about psychoanalysis, and they are all critical. Most important are: ‘Studies in Hysteria’ (1895) and “The Psychopathology of Everyday Life” (1901). Freud left Austria in 1938 to get away from the Nazis. He died in England on September 23, 1939, at the age of 83. After a long and painful fight with oral cancer, he asked his doctor for a lethal dose of morphine, which would have killed him.
Best Sigmund Freud Quotes
1. “Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.”-Sigmund Freud.
2. “One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.”-Sigmund Freud.
3. “The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is ‘What does a woman want?'”-Sigmund Freud.
4. “He that has eyes to see and ears to hear may convince himself that no mortal can keep a secret. If his lips are silent, he chatters with his fingertips; betrayal oozes out of him at every pore.”-Sigmund Freud.
5. “The intention that man should be happy is not in the plan of Creation.”-Sigmund Freud
6. “We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love.”-Sigmund Freud.
7. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.”-Sigmund Freud.
8. “Being entirely honest with oneself is a good exercise.”-Sigmund Freud.
9. “We are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love.”-Sigmund Freud.
10. “Where does a thought go when it’s forgotten?”-Sigmund Freud.
11. “A woman should soften but not weaken a man.”-Sigmund Freud.
12. “Experience teaches us that the world is not a nursery.”-Sigmund Freud.
13. “Future ages will produce further great advances in this realm of culture, probably inconceivable now, and will increase man’s likeness to a god still more.”-Sigmund Freud.
14. “It is impossible to escape the impression that people commonly use false standards of measurement…”-Sigmund Freud.
15. “Words have a magical power. They can bring either the greatest happiness or deepest despair.”-Sigmund Freud.
16. “It is that we are never so defenseless against suffering as when we love, never so helplessly unhappy as when we have lost our loved object or its love.”-Sigmund Freud.
17. “Religion is an attempt to get control over the sensory world, in which we are placed, by means of the wish-world, which we have developed inside us as a result of biological and psychological necessities.”-Sigmund Freud.
18. “He does not believe that does not live according to his belief.”-Sigmund Freud.
19. “When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons.”-Sigmund Freud.
20. “Everywhere I go I find a poet has been there before me.”-Sigmund Freud.
21. “Religion is a system of wishful illusions together with a disavowal of reality.”-Sigmund Freud.
22. “Life, as we find it, is too hard for us; it brings us too many pains, disappointments and impossible tasks.”-Sigmund Freud.
23. “In the depths of my heart, I can’t help being convinced that my dear fellow-men, with a few exceptions, are worthless.”-Sigmund Freud.
24. “Neurotics complain of their illness, but they make the most of it, and when it comes to taking it away from them they will defend it like a lioness her young.”-Sigmund Freud.
25. “Words are capable of arousing the strongest emotions and prompting all men’s actions.”-Sigmund Freud.
26. “The ego is not master in its own house.”-Sigmund Freud.
27. “The voice of the intellect is a soft one, but it does not rest until it has gained a hearing.”-Sigmund Freud.
28. “The ego refuses to be distressed by the provocations of reality, to let itself be compelled to suffer.”-Sigmund Freud.
29. “The pleasure of satisfying a savage instinct, undomesticated by the ego, is incomparably much more intense than the one of satisfying a tamed instinct.”-Sigmund Freud.
30. “Where id was, there ego shall be.”-Sigmund Freud.