Stephen Hawking Quotes About Life, Love, Funny, Education, The Universe, Time, Artificial Intelligence, Knowledge, Future & Science! Before his death as director of the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology, Stephen William Hawking was a British theoretical physicist and author who focused on the theory of black holes. While at Cambridge University between 1979 and 2009, he served as the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics. He was born on January 8, 1942, in oxford.
Having turned 17 in October 1959, he began his university studies at Oxford’s University College in the fall, where he graduated with honors with a first-class BA in physics. When he started graduate school at Trinity Hall Cambridge, he was an applied mathematics and theoretical physics student, focusing on general relativity and cosmology. He graduated with his Ph.D. in March 1966.
For example, he worked with Roger Penrose on general-relativity-based gravitational singularity theorems. He made the theoretical prediction that black holes emit radiation, often referred to as “Hawking radiation. Stephen Hawking was the first to explain cosmology based on the theory of general relativity and quantum mechanics.
Throughout his career, Hawking published various works in which he mainly presented his theories and cosmology. For a record-breaking 237 weeks, his e-book A brief history of Time was on the Sunday Times bestsellers list. Hawking made a lifelong member in the Pontifical Academy for Sciences for his contributions to science and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America’s most prestigious civilian honor. As of 2002, Hawking was named No. 25 on the BBC’s list of the 100 Greatest Brits. On March 14, 2018, he passed away at 76, after a long struggle with motor neuron disease.
Stephen Hawking Quotes
1. “We each exist for but a short time, and in that time explore but a small part of the whole universe.” — Stephen Hawking
2. “Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny.” — Stephen Hawking
3. “I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I’m not afraid of death, but I’m in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first.” — Stephen Hawking
4. “Eternity is a long time, especially towards the end.” — Stephen Hawking
5. “Just because I do a lot of thinking doesn’t mean I don’t like parties and getting into trouble.” — Stephen Hawking
6. “I like physics, but I love cartoons.” — Stephen Hawking
7. “Science is increasingly answering questions that used to be the province of religion.” — Stephen Hawking
8. “I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.” — Stephen Hawking
9. “There is a fundamental difference between religion, which is based on authority, and science, which is based on observation and reason. Science will win because it works.” — Stephen Hawking
10. “What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn’t prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.” — Stephen Hawking
11. “If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?” — Stephen Hawking
12. “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.” — Stephen Hawking
13. “What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn’t prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary.” — Stephen Hawking
14. “The idea of 10 dimensions might sound exciting, but they would cause real problems if you forget where you parked your car.” — Stephen Hawking
15. “I regard the afterlife to be a fairy story for people that are afraid of the dark.” — Stephen Hawking
16. “Most of the threats we face come from the progress we’ve made in science and technology. We are not going to stop making progress, or reverse it, so we must recognize the dangers and control them. I’m an optimist, and I believe we can.” — Stephen Hawking
17. “God may exist, but science can explain the universe without the need for a creator.” — Stephen Hawking
18. “Science can lift people out of poverty and cure disease. That, in turn, will reduce civil unrest.” — Stephen Hawking
19. “Science is not only a disciple of reason but also one of romance and passion.” — Stephen Hawking
20. “Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge.” — Stephen Hawking
21. “I wouldn’t compare [scientific discoveries] to sex, but it lasts longer.” — Stephen Hawking
22. “One is always a long way from solving a problem until one actually has the answer.” — Stephen Hawking
23. “Black holes ain’t as black as they are painted. They are not the eternal prisons they were once thought. Things can get out of a black hole both on the outside and possibly to another universe. So, if you feel you are in a black hole, don’t give up—there’s a way out.” — Stephen Hawking
24. “One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning, and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don’t throw it away.” — Stephen Hawking
25. “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” — Stephen Hawking